Arts and Сulture
Gubkin University pays special attention to full development of future professionals in the oil and gas industry. Along with technical disciplines, students attend the humanities. Annually the University hosts cultural events, concerts and festivals. To introduce students to the history of the University and the oil and gas industry as a whole, Gubkin University established the Museum Complex.
Palace of Culture "Gubkinets"
The Palace of Culture "Gubkinets" was established in 1991 for the purpose of creative development of students. The total area of the Palace is more than 2,000 sq. m., including a hall for 1,052 seats, a spacious lobby, 3 equipped dance halls, 3 equipped vocal studios, 2 equipped instrumental music studios and an equipped student drama hall, a photo studio and a studio of Gubkin University TV. The Palace of Culture hosts 22 studios in 11 creative areas.
In 2014 students, engaged in studios, established the student organization called the Union of Creative Students. Today, more than 800 students are participants of the Union. It is one of the most numerous and creative student organizations based in the University. Annually, creative students become laureates and award winners of numerous festivals and competitions. In 2016, following the results of the All-Russian Festival of Student Creativity Festos, Gubkin University became second among non-major universities of the country.
For many years, Gubkin University has hosted the All-Russian Pushkin Youth Art Festival. These days the Palace becomes a true literary and musical salon and a ballroom.
The Museum Complex of Gubkin University includes the following museum expositions and exposition areas:
- the Museum of History,
- the Museum of History of Youth Organizations and Associations,
- the Mineralogical and Petrographic Museum named after Leonid Pustovalov,
- the Museum of Petroleum Chemistry named after Sergey Namyotkin,
- the Museum of Chemistry and Lubricants named after Nikolay Chernozhukov,
- the Museum Exposition of the Military Department,
- the Hall of Labour Glory of the Oil and Gas Industry,
- the Portrait Gallery.
The Museum Complex was established as a result of a purposeful process of preservation and promotion of research and cultural heritage of Gubkin University and the entire oil and gas industry of the country. The Museum Complex contains the authentic materials reflecting the establishment and the history of development of the University and the oil and gas industry, and has become an important platform for fostering spiritual and moral values of the past in new generations of students.
Preserving the traditions, the Museum Complex forms value-based attitude to professional reality, contributes to development of historical self-identity, patriotism, moral memory and spirituality of students, corporate spirit, pride in belonging to a large family of Gubkin University.
The main activity areas of the Museum Complex include:
- Research: search and attribute materials, systematize collections, compile card indexes, create a single database.
- Advocacy: organize excursions and individual visits, sightseeing tours around the University for school-children (the University-School Program), temporary exhibitions dedicated to memorable dates and jubilees of Gubkin University scientists, publish and distribute thematic posters.
- Education: give classes for students in the history of the University, the history of the oil and gas industry in Russia, courses on Introduction to Major for students from various faculties, classes as part of the introductory training for first-year students; carry out consultations on the oil and gas discipline, the history of the University, biographies of scientists; provide exhibition and archive materials.
- Awareness-raising: provide information to the employees of the University and other organizations, including foreign companies, about research, academic and public activities of the University faculty and graduates as well as information materials on the history of the oil and gas industry in Russia.